Cupcakes are always popular with kids - big and small! These are made with delicious chocolate and lemon, topped with a creamy white chocolate and butter icing, a sprinkle of chocolate and chocolate eggs - just in case you haven't had enough chocolate already this Easter! If you’re looking for something the whole family can do together this Easter weekend, baking together is always fun. This recipe is easy and straightforward and the kids can easily ice and decorate the cakes themselves to look like bird nests.
200 g melted butter, let it cool slightly
3 dl sugar
1/2 dl milk
zest and lemon juice of 1 lemon (about 1/2 dl juice)
4 ½ dl flour
1 tsp. vanilla sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
100g white chocolate
150g butter, room temperature
150g cream cheese
250g icing sugar
Cold dark chocolate (store the chocolate in the fridge before cutting)
Mini chocolate eggs
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees and set out 12 paper cups in a muffin pan.
- Beat sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in flour mixed with baking powder and vanilla sugar. Add the melted butter, milk, lemon juice and zest, and stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin liners and bake in the middle of the oven for about 15-18 minutes.
- For the frosting melt the chocolate over warm water (or in the microwave) and allow to cool slightly. Beat the butter really creamy, add the chocolate slowly and continue whisking.
- Add the icing sugar and the cream cheese and beat until the frosting is fluffy and smooth.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag with a round tip and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the chocolate to create long chocolate shavings. Sprinkle over the freshly piped frosting and then top with mini chocolate eggs.
Happy Easter from BuddyPhones!
*This recipe makes 12-16 medium sized cupcakes
*recipe and images courtesy of Garnish & Glaze